- Sterilize the Spouts in boiling water.
- Measure 2″ from the tip of a 5/16″ drill bit and mark it with masking tape.
- Avoiding older tap holes, drill a straight hole into the tree trunk up to the masking tape line. Do NOT blow into the hole.
- Insert the tapered end of the spout into the hole and tap it gently with a hammer until a slightly different “thunk” sound is heard. The Max. Depth Guideline should always be visible. The tree trunk could crack if inserted too deeply.
- At the end of your maple season, remove each spout with the claw of a hammer. Do NOT plug the hole in the tree.
- Rinse the spouts and store them for reuse next season.