This spout system is great for collecting sap in buckets! Alternatively, if you intend to use these spouts only with Wind Resistant Bag Holders (not buckets), then check out our Bucket and Bag Spouts to purchase the spouts minus the hooks.
- Sterilize the Spouts in boiling water before use.
- After the Spouts are clean and dry, insert one Spout into each loop of the Bandolier to make it easy to carry/access them while you are tapping trees.
- Measure 2″ from the tip of a 5/16″ drill bit and mark it with tape.
- Avoiding older tap holes, drill a hole into the tree trunk at a slight down pitch. Go only as deep as your tape line. Do NOT blow into the hole.
- Attach the hook to the spout as shown in the photo on this page.
- Insert the tapered end of the spout into the hole and tap it gently with a hammer until a slightly different “thunk” sound is heard. The Max. Depth Guideline should always be visible. Note that due to variances in bark from tree to tree, the exact placement of the Max Depth Guideline may appear to vary from tree to tree, but the important thing to remember is that it should always be visible! A tree trunk could crack if any type of spout is inserted too deeply.
- At the end of your maple season, gently remove each spout with the claw of a hammer. Do NOT plug the hole in the tree.
- Rinse and dry the spouts, and store them in the Bandolier for reuse next season.