Instructions for Use
- Before each use, inspect the filter for any holes or other damage. If damage is found, the Filter should be replaced.
- Nest several Cone Prefilters inside the Orlon Cone Filter Bag. The opening of all bags should be facing upward.
- Dampen the Filter Bags with clean, hot water before use. The maple syrup will flow through the filters more readily if the fabric is damp.
- Hang the filters in a Cone Filter Tank or somehow fashion them over a large pot. (See photo below.)
- Slowly pour HOT maple syrup into the innermost prefilter bag so that the maple syrup will travel through all the prefilters and then exit through the bottom of the main Orlon Filter. Wear rubber gloves to protect hands and arms from hot syrup.
- If your hot syrup stops flowing through the filters with ease, simply lift out and set aside the innermost prefilter to remove the layer of debris that is causing the clog. Then the maple syrup should continue flowing has it had before. Avoid pouring hot syrup directly into the Orlon Cone Filter Bag without using a prefilter because if the Orlon clogs up, you will need to stop everything and wash it before you can continue filtering.
How to Wash Filters
Rinse thoroughly with hot water. Do NOT use soaps, detergents or bleach because you don’t want to leave any residues which could potentially contaminate your syrup’s flavor. Never wring dry as this stresses the fabric. Air dry completely before storing.
How to Store Filters
Store clean, dry Cone Filters in a cool, dry place. Do NOT store with mothballs as that could create an off flavor in your syrup the next time you filter.